Thursday, December 13, 2007

December is full of possibilities and a good time to get a start on resolutions

I told you some time back that I rejoined a gym. I'm determined to get my money's worth from the dues I pay. I admit that I got a sweet deal with monthly dues only $24 per month and no initiation fee. Before you ask, no I did not have to sign up for any long term commitment. It has taken a bit of time to get in the swing of things, but this is what I've figured out so far...

If I go three times a week (far under the recommendation of my trainer), it will cost me $2 per visit. That's less than bus fare for one day and equal to two cheeseburgers at McDonald's.

Theoretically, you can loose up to two pounds per week the healthy way, which would equal $3 per pound lost. That's the cost of one weight watchers frozen entree (not on sale.)

I'd also like to go on the record that I learned my lesson some time ago that designer gym wear is a complete waste of money. I am happier with my cheap men's sweat pants and t-shirt. (I choose men's because they are usually $10-$20 cheaper than women's.)

I take my bottled water from home and reuse bottles a few times before recycling them. It's pennies versus $1.25 per visit.

Now you may be asking at this point, "Why doesn't she just get out and walk or bike? It's free." Well, to be honest, some of us need a bit of motivation and I'm willing to pay for that extra push. You may have noticed that I mentioned personal trainer. I'm only paying $10 per session and am only committing to 5 sessions to get me started. The $50 they usually charge is too rich for my blood. The moral of the story? Look for every special and ask if its going to be on special anytime soon!

No comments: