Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Today Was A Very Good Day

I was lucky enough to have two opportunities to earn a bit of extra money. The first was a taste test. The subject was apples and I have to admit it made me think. As most tests are set up, I was asked a number of questions about taste, texture, color, etc., but I found myself falling into the consumerism mindset that makes marketing companies the big bucks. It was the search for the perfect green apple.

I like to think of myself as a bit of a foodie preferring organic, fresh food. I believe I can taste the difference and that the organic will be obvious because it will have flavor. Today I was humbled. I realized I was drawn to the crisp green apple that didn't brown after it was cut. It wasn't until the very end of the test that I realized no natural apple does that. This apple was manipulated through genetic breeding, radiation treatment, injected with toxins or some other torture device designed to make a super apple.

I had ask what is my tolerance for flaws? The apple that browned was just as good as the bright green one. In fact, I think the green one was slightly more tart. How many other things do I look over because it doesn't fit the picture of perfect freshness? How much food goes to waste because others share my ingrained preference for appearance? Don't get me wrong, I'm not typically worried about trends. I try not to judge a person by its cover. I usually value the unique and different. So why is this green apple different?

The second opportunity was much easier. It was a market research panel for a local restaurant. It was really fun. I may have to add these types of panels to my entertainment list. Wow, how sad is that!?!

At the end of the day, I have $67 for debt reduction, $25 for groceries, $3 lunch splurge, and a $50 gift certificate to a fantastic restaurant. Yeah! Now if I could just work more days like this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How cool...
I love that kind of stuff!
How cool...