Saturday, September 6, 2008

Alternative Transportation

There was a time when I received assistance with my parking, but after my '84 Olds meet her untimely death, I never asked to have that assistance reinstated. I've been paying my parking ever since. For a time, I had a carpool buddy. Granted we never discussed how much he was going to contribute and I took his age and lack of income into consideration I didn't push the question. When I lost my carpool buddy, I bit the bullet and started taking mass transit. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner except that I was concerned about loosing my parking spot. I knew it would be impossible to get it back.

Confession... I live within walking distance of Fareless Square, an area of town where you don't have to pay for a ticket as long as you stay within "Fareless Square." The walk is about 10 blocks, but I'm enjoying to peace and quiet. It helps me relax before sitting down to my desk. The time on the bus has given me a chance to read, something I haven't had time for in quite awhile. I will have to reevaluate this choice if they get rid of this zone as the rumors have been suggesting.

On the really nice days, I've been walking all the way to work, which is about 2 miles. If they do get rid of Fareless Square, that's always an option and finally have no fear, I have a backup. My bike is tuned and ready to be put into action. I live in a very bike friendly city and am practicing on the weekends.

Finally, when the season changes and the rains come in, I have started networking for a new carpool buddy. I think I've got a good one lined up for the rainy season.

Bottom line, I'm saving $8 per day or $140 per month and I'm happy to say that I've already lost 15 pounds. Consider alternatives. Its good for the earth. Its good for your body. Its good for the pocketbook.

No comments: