Tuesday, September 18, 2007

$39 For A Late Charge Is a Missed Snowflake Opportunity

Since I've been following No Credit Needed's 33 Days and 33 Ways to Save Money and Reduce Debt, I've really had the opportunity to examine all of those demons in my financial house. Today's topic is Remembering Due Dates. Here is an area that undermines not only the ability to make the most money work towards paying back debt, but also works against us because banks use this as an opportunity to raise interest rates.

NCN recommends a number of ways to ensure bills are paid by the due date including old school pen and calendar and techno geek Internet reminders. I would add a few more recommendations.
  • Snowflake your bills so that you are a month ahead.
  • Pay the bill as soon as you get it.
  • Keep a post-it on your monitor listing due dates.

Personally, I've been using a combination of styles. (I also have back ups for waking up in the morning.) I have been working on using a calendar at my desk to write down due dates including setting a date to pay bills. My cell phone has a calendar feature that I'm considering programming with these important dates.

The most important goal in this is to stop lining credit card companies pockets with profits they did not earn.

No comments: