Monday, September 3, 2007

Breakfasts, Lunches, and Menus Oh My!

Well, I did it. I went to the grocery store with my list in hand and purchased items for breakfasts, lunches and some dinners for the upcoming week. I got nervous when I came home because it didn't really feel like I had enough groceries to make it through the week. My budget was only $35. I came in at $32 but this also included 4 12-packs of Coca-Cola (my one remaining vice and they were a steal). After being inspired by I've Paid For This Twice Already, I sat down and wrote out a menu for the week. Yes, I realize this should have been done before I went the the grocery store, but I've never done this before and I'm learning. I am glad to report that all meals are accounted for.

Labor Day weekend is a fantastic time to stock up on items that can be used for lunches. I picked up English muffins which will work with peanut butter for breakfast and for pizza bread for lunch; a rotisserie chicken for dinner, sandwiches and quesadillas; and crackers since I have a habit of making lunch out of tuna, cheese, and crackers.

I realize that I need to pick up some freezer container so I can save portions of casseroles and other dinners for future lunches. I also have some dead bananas in the freezer waiting to be made into Banana Nut Bread for future breakfasts.

No comments: